Saturday, July 3, 2010

Romance at a Midnight Flea Market.

IS there anything more romantic then a night time, vintage market? Ever since I saw an episode on Lipstick Jungle where Victory and Rodrigo shopped at a night market in NYC, I have been intrigued.

(Sophie Monk at Melrose Trading Post 3/09)

I recently ventured to NYC where I went on a hunt for a night market. It was early January and I walked from 32nd & Park to W 39th & 9th in search of a bargain at Hell's Kitchen Market. When I got there however, there was no one there. Apparently even fashion vendors are not brave enough to sell in the snow. Who knew? I was then pleasantly surprised when I after having dinner at Kat'z Delicatessen, where Sally in 'When Harry Met Sally' famously said "I'll have what she's having," I spotted a night market near Little Italy. Under the stars and dancing to smooth blues music I began my hunt for a NYC fashion bargain. I found a gorgeous, cream vintage YSL bag. Although the atmosphere was right I could find better bargains on Canal Street.

I then travelled to LA when I was told about Melrose Trading Post. Held at Fairfax High School every Sunday the sleuth of bargains, celebrity hunting and scrumptious food filling is explored.

There I found the vendor of peacock headbands that is stocked at Urban Outfitters & was modelled on the Jessica Alba and MK Olsen. Usually sold for $24 at Urban Outfitters I bought the headband for only $8.
I also discovered a wicked,gold, Tiffany & Co., palm tree necklace for $5. In my mind why buy a tacky souvenir from Stars on the Boulevard when you can buy a gorgeous trinket that epitomises LA perfectly?

Now although there were bargains to be found, the atmosphere just wasn't quite right. Melrose was too structured for any romance to be felt.


I then discovered the Farmer's Market at The Grove in LA. Having been there during Mardi Gras the New Orleans food stall was busy,busy,busy.

There were jazz performers with diners dancing around covered in Mardi Gras beads and people eating frogs legs and actually thinking they were nice. Although, there weren't that many bargain, fashion stalls the atmosphere was too AMAZING to care.


A recent visit from a friend Annmaree Lindfors, founder of 6101 Productions and professional dancer based in LA, I was informed about Australia's Flemington Swap and Sell Market. Having stayed up all night to hit the market at 2am when the vendors were setting up, admittedly Annmaree looked like a total wreck.

Although when she showed me her bag of bargains, I was already planning my next trip to Flemington. Her purchases included a wicked RLP bag for $5, a cosy, red cardi for $2 and the most AMAZING $30 faux coat that I invokes the like of Rhianna or Carrie Bradshaw. To be there at 2am to beat the hawk-eyed hunters Annmaree described the event as more of a crazy NYC sale at Loehmann's then a fun-filled vintage night market.

Which brings me to Melbourne's Queen Victoria Night Market. Although I haven't been there for quite some years, the memory still lingers on.

Outside the market you will find food stalls filled with yummy, choc-dipped strawberries, delicious, Spanish paella and authentic and pesto gnocchi for cheap as chip prices. Then undercover the fashion hunt begins. On my venture I discovered a gorgeous NYC vintage dress, inexpensive, new UGG boots and vintage jewellery that put the NYC night market to shame.

Vintage night markets will always have a place in my heart. Have you been to one lately?


KC & CC xx

No comments:

Post a Comment